The challenge of multiple technologies
Client: Fortune 500 Oil & Gas
Environment: 8,000 servers across 10 zones running NetBackup, Backup Exec, TSM, Arcserve and Networker
The client, a partner responsible for delivering IT services to a FTSE100 company with global operations, opted to replace a number of regionally-aligned incumbent suppliers to improve performance, reduce costs and take advantage of a single, global backup provider to deliver contractual service goals and improve visibility to the end customer.
What we did:
As with any client on-boarding, but particularly for a client of this size and complexity, we implemented a formal methodology to establish the service which included:
- Target service level agreement established through information gathering, due diligence and stakeholder interviews.
- Execution of a 12 week structured transition project
- Adoption of four control gates for each server environment with formal acceptance criteria and client sign-off.
The managed backup service includes the following features:
- 24x7x365 operation delivering to SLA
- Backup success contracted to 98.5% but regularly exceeds 99.5%
- Repeat backup failures (>5 days in a row) brought down from a take-on average of 7.6% to under 0.15% across the global estate
- Daily operational and management reporting with quarterly service delivery reviews
- Execution of a wide range of backup-related projects
By adopting a structured approach through the phased on-boarding process with our highly qualified service delivery team, the engagement has been seen as a great success. The benefits seen by the client include:
- Seamless service transition completed ahead of schedule
- Backup improvements and restore success from day one
- Contractual cost savings achieved
- Enhanced performance and visibility of critical backups (e.g. top 20 business applications, quarter-end close)
- Significant improvements in communication and incident management.